•  Some history of Deming, New Mexico

Deming is located in the southwest New Mexico, 33 miles north of the Mexico border. It's a land of sun and desert rocks and cacti. Deming has been called a "Rock-Hunters Paradise."

The first people known to inhabit the area were Mimbres Indians nearly 1000 years ago. They lived in villages along the Mimbres River and farmed the area. They painted pictures of daily life into their pottery, reflecting their gifted creativity.

Deming was founded in 1881, and is now county seat of Luna County. The town was named for Mary Deming Crocker, wife of a railroad executive of the Southern Pacific Railway system. The town resulted from railroad expansion westward. The Southern Pacific reached Deming in late 1881, constructing a roundhouse and repair shops--a community of tents and shanties also resulted.

Six months later, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe completed its junction with the Southern Pacific at Deming and Deming became a trading area for southern New Mexico. By 1882, settlers and miners began arriving, and more substantial buildings and homes were erected. E. Germain and Company opened the first store here, using old boxcars for storerooms.

By 1887, there were 1600 persons, and Deming had both a private and a public school, plus a Methodist and a Congregational Church and four hotels. By 1891, there was an Episcopal and a Catholic Church, and two newspapers.

Camp Cody, near Deming, was a World War I training encampment of over 2000 acres west of Deming. After the war, Camp Cody was used for a tuberculosis sanitorium for ex-soldiers, operated by the Catholic Sisters of the Holy Cross. In 1939, the sanitorium and what was left of Camp Cody were completely destroyed by fire. The sanitorium was not rebuilt.

During World War II, an Army Air Force Base was installed in Deming, located at what is now the "Municipal Deming Airport and Industrial Park." This base trained bombardiers and there were over 5000 men stationed at this base.
New Mexico Wanderings next